Want to play with us? We’d love to have you! New and returning musicians, please begin by completing our 2022–23 Audition/Application Form. Auditions for new and returning musicians will take place on Saturday, August 27, 2022, at our rehearsal space, the Mormon (LDS) Church, 220 Elk Street, Santa Cruz. Audition times will be assigned by August 1. For those who miss the August auditions, we can arrange another time to hear you play. New musicians may join us in September (fall set), January (winter set) or March (spring set).
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you shortly.
Chamber Music Academy Auditions
- Strong musical skills and good attitude are the primary requirements for admission to the symphony; these factors are more important than an applicant’s age or how long they have played an instrument.
- Applicants must be 20 years old or younger, and must be prepared to make a sincere commitment to full rehearsal and concert participation.
- Private lessons are strongly encouraged but not mandatory. We understand that some applicants may receive instruction through their school music programs. Mueller Scholarships are available through the Santa Cruz Symphony for young musicians who need financial assistance for private lessons.
Musicians auditioning for the Santa Cruz County Youth Symphony should be prepared to perform the following:
- Major scales of three octaves for strings and two octaves for winds. Scales will be selected from keys up to two sharps and flats, and will be selected by instrument to be in appropriate and idiomatic ranges for student players.
- A prepared piece or etude of approximately three minutes in length. You do not need to memorize your piece. Please bring a copy of it so our music director can follow along.
- Sight-reading of one or more short musical segments selected by the music director.
- Some years we provide excerpts from the fall repertoire for students to practice and play at their auditions. For fall 2022, no excerpts will be required.
NOTE: Should we need to hold video auditions again this year, instead of in-person auditions, you will need to follow our Video Audition Guidelines.
To schedule an audition, please complete our Audition/Application Form.