Want to play with us? We’d love to have you! Auditions for new players for the 2020–21 season, originally scheduled for Saturday, May 16, 2020, have been postponed to August due to the coronavirus. Check back for more information. Returning players will have their seating auditions on August 30, 2020. If necessary, we can arrange an alternate date in late August or early September for your audition for the 2020–21 season. We can also accept new players for our Winter set, which begins in January, or our Spring set, which begins in March. Please start by completing our Audition/Application Form. Once you do, we will contact you to set up your audition. Questions? Email us at email@example.com and someone will get back to you shortly.
Chamber Music Academy Auditions
- Strong musical skills and good attitude are the primary requirements for admission to the symphony; these factors are more important than an applicant’s age or how long they have played an instrument.
- Applicants must be 20 years old or younger, and must be prepared to make a sincere commitment to full rehearsal and concert participation.
- Private lessons are strongly encouraged but not mandatory. We understand that some applicants may receive instruction through their school music programs. Mueller Scholarships are available through the Santa Cruz Symphony for young musicians who need financial assistance for private lessons.
Musicians auditioning for the Santa Cruz County Youth Symphony should be prepared to perform the following:
- Major scales of three octaves for strings and two octaves for winds. Scales will be selected from keys up to two sharps and flats, and will be selected by instrument to be in appropriate and idiomatic ranges for student players.
- A prepared piece or etude of approximately three minutes in length. Please bring in a photocopy of the piece for the judges.
- Sight reading of one or more short musical segments selected by the conductor.
- August auditions only (this item not necessary for May auditions): Two short excerpts from music that is part of the Fall set. You can find the Fall 2019 excerpts here. (Excerpts for Fall 2020 will be posted in mid-July 2020.) Print them out, practice them, and bring the printouts with you to your audition. Just bring one copy. The judges will have their own copies.
To schedule an audition, please complete our Audition/Application Form.