Want to play with us? We’d love to have you! New and returning musicians, please begin by completing our 2021–2022 Audition/Application Form. In-person auditions were held on Sunday, August 29, but we can arrange to hear other prospective players on a case-by-case basis.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you shortly.
Chamber Music Academy Auditions
- Strong musical skills and good attitude are the primary requirements for admission to the symphony; these factors are more important than an applicant’s age or how long they have played an instrument.
- Applicants must be 20 years old or younger, and must be prepared to make a sincere commitment to full rehearsal and concert participation.
- Private lessons are strongly encouraged but not mandatory. We understand that some applicants may receive instruction through their school music programs. Mueller Scholarships are available through the Santa Cruz Symphony for young musicians who need financial assistance for private lessons.
Musicians auditioning for the Santa Cruz County Youth Symphony should be prepared to perform the following:
- Major scales of three octaves for strings and two octaves for winds. Scales will be selected from keys up to two sharps and flats, and will be selected by instrument to be in appropriate and idiomatic ranges for student players.
- A prepared piece or etude of approximately three minutes in length. You do not need to memorize your piece. Please bring a copy of it so our music director can follow along.
- Sight-reading of one or more short musical segments selected by the music director.
- Excerpts from the fall repertoire. NOTE: Excerpts will not be required for fall 2021 auditions.
NOTE: Should we need to hold video auditions again this year, instead of in-person auditions, you will need to follow our Video Audition Guidelines.
To schedule an audition, please complete our Audition/Application Form.