Want to play with us? We’d love to have you! New and returning musicians, please begin by completing our 2020–2021 Audition/Application Form. We will contact you with a date by which we’d like you to submit your video audition. See our Video Audition Guidelines here.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you shortly.
Chamber Music Academy Auditions
- Strong musical skills and good attitude are the primary requirements for admission to the symphony; these factors are more important than an applicant’s age or how long they have played an instrument.
- Applicants must be 20 years old or younger, and must be prepared to make a sincere commitment to full rehearsal and concert participation.
- Private lessons are strongly encouraged but not mandatory. We understand that some applicants may receive instruction through their school music programs. Mueller Scholarships are available through the Santa Cruz Symphony for young musicians who need financial assistance for private lessons.
Musicians auditioning for the Santa Cruz County Youth Symphony should be prepared to perform the following:
- Major scales of three octaves for strings and two octaves for winds. Scales will be selected from keys up to two sharps and flats, and will be selected by instrument to be in appropriate and idiomatic ranges for student players.
- A prepared piece or etude of approximately three minutes in length.
- Our Video Audition Guidelines for Fall 2020 are now posted! Deadline: August 23, 2020.
NOTE: Once we return to in-person auditions and rehearsals, the following two items will also be included.
- Sight reading of one or more short musical segments selected by the conductor. (To return for Fall 2021, we hope).
- Excerpts from the Fall repertoire. Once we return to in-person rehearsals, hopefully by Fall 2021, our August auditions will include two short excerpts from the upcoming Fall repertoire. We will link to the excerpts here, and you will be able to print them out.
To schedule an audition, please complete our Audition/Application Form.